USN NROWS from USNR Public

CAC access to secure web sites for Mac OS

Re: USN NROWS from USNR Public

Postby jim » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 am

There shouldn't be a need to change the browser emulation, as all of our initial testing - both in-house and DoD - was done with the stock Safari installation.

We have had one customer report success after downgrading to Safari 5.0.5.

We are also currently investigating a possible change in how certs are handled for certain CAC-enabled sites, and hope to have more information soon. If necessary, you may also contact our support department at support@thursby.com.

---Jim
jim
Site Admin

Postby carl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 am

One option that hasn't been discussed here is to test with Google Chrome http://www.google.com/chrome. If anyone is interested in doing this, please post your results.

Carl
carl
Site Admin

Postby ssb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Jim/ Carl:

I've tried everything on this thread except for rolling Safari back to Rev 5.0.5. This includes installing Chrome. Chrome behaves slightly different than Safari on NROWS. As a side note, Chrome seems to work fine on the other Navy sites I tried - BOL, NRRM, & Webmail.

Steps taken with Chrome:
1. Login to http://www.navyreserve.navy.mil with CAC (only way to get to NROWS now - that I am aware). No Login issues.
2. Select NROWS from the drop down
3. Chrome begins to load NROWS (in the same window as http://www.navyreserve.navy.mil)
4. From here on is different than Safari. Chrome asks you to choose correct CERT.
5. Goes to a page that states the following (Copied from the webpage):

---
In order to use the NROWS System, you must use:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher Download
Mozilla Firefox version 1.5 or higher Download

Information about your current browser:

Browser identified as:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_0) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/13.0.782.107 Safari/535.1
If you are unsure why your browser is not acceptable, include the identification above in an email to the help desk.
----

Not sure if this helps the cause to solve the issue but I hope we can get to an answer soon. I run a unit with over 70 people and must have access to Navy sites, including NROWS. This product is great for all the other sites but the lack of NROWS functionality really hurts...

My system: MacBook Pro w/ 4GB Ram & 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo. OSX 10.7 Lion with all updates.
ssb

Postby jim » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 am

ssb,

Thanks for the detail, this is very helpful.

It may be that NROWS is requiring ActiveX support, based on the browser specification. I would suggest contacting a site administrator for NROWS and ask if that is indeed the reason for the limited browser support. If so, then that limitation would prevent NROWS from being accessed by a Mac, even with valid certs.

---Jim
jim
Site Admin

Postby mgevo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Jim,
Unless the USN changed NROWS, I've always had access when I was running Snow Leopard. I used the Develop tab to emulate IE 7.0 and always logged on. This changed when Safari 5.1 and Lion loaded onto my machine. Let me know if you here anything or have any other ideas. Thanks.
mgevo

Postby slader » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 am

I have not upgraded to Lion yet. I am running OSX 10.6.7 with Safari 5.0.5. Recently I have started to experience the same thing (NROWS won't load, even when using the Develop menu to select IE User Agent). I keep getting the following message:

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “https://nrows.sscno.nmci.navy.mil/nrows/secure/login.jsp” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

I can get on other CAC websites without a problem. I used to have no problem getting on NROWS using the IE User Agent. Now what?
slader

Postby mgevo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm not sure what we are supposed to do, but I purchases PKard to fix this problem and this problem only. It's not working not matter how I emulate and the link to NROWS that comes with PKard does not work. It delivers a "FORBIDDEN" message along with the white screen of death. I'm frustrated, but hoping Safari gets an upgrade to allow us a way around. I'll post when I figure out a way to get access.
mgevo

Postby carl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Given the response from slader, it seems that NROWS changed something on the server. One customer reported that this worked for NROWS:

Launch Google Chrome with User Agent set to Internet Explorer. To do that, copy the following text and paste it into a terminal window.

Code: Select all
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)"

This launches Google Chrome and temporarily changes what user agent is reported to the server. To verify that this is working, you can visit http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com which displays the user agent your browser is reporting.

Carl
carl
Site Admin

Postby chrisgregg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 am

(EDIT: Just noticed the previous post...sorry for the duplicate!)

I am also having problems with Safari and NROWS, but I get a "Forbidden You are not authorised to access this resource on the server." error.

However, I do have good news -- NROWS works fine on my Mac when using Google Chrome, with the following command line invocation:

open /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app   --args -user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; pl-PL; rv:2.0) Gecko/20110307 Firefox/4.0" https://nrows.sscno.nmci.navy.mil/nrows/

So, at least that's a temporary solution.

-Chris
chrisgregg

Postby carl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:06 am

chrisgregg,

Welcome to the Thursby forums.

Thank you for posting. Your code is much better than what we found. Using the 'open' command allows the prompt to return to the user, and including the URL will allow a user to create a simple AppleScript to open the site.

Here's an example of how AppleScript can be used to make this happen.
  1. Open Utilities > AppleScript Editor.
  2. Paste the code from below.
  3. Choose File > Save As…
  4. Select File Format: Application.
  5. Give the item a name and save.
Once saved, opening the new file will launch Google Chrome without the use of Terminal.

set myURL to "https://nrows.sscno.nmci.navy.mil/nrows/"

tell application "System Events"
   set processList to name of every process
end tell
if processList contains "Google Chrome" then
   beep
   set theReturnedItems to (display dialog "Google Chrome is already running." & return & "Would you like to quit and relaunch it?" default button "Cancel")
   set theButtonName to the button returned of theReturnedItems
   -- If user clicks "Cancel", this part of the script is never executed.
end if

-- This gets the path to Google Chrome.  Unfortunately, it also launches the app.
set myGoogleChromePath to POSIX path of (path to application "Google Chrome")
tell application "Google Chrome" to quit
delay 1

set myCommand to "open " & quoted form of (myGoogleChromePath)
set myAgent to "--args -user-agent=\"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; pl-PL; rv:2.0) Gecko/20110307 Firefox/4.0\""
set myscript to myCommand & " " & myAgent & " " & myURL
do shell script myscript

I've put the URL at the top of the script so that you can change it to whatever site you may need. If you have any questions about the script (or suggestions for improvement), please let me know.

Carl
carl
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to PKard® for Mac v1