SCR3500a not recognizing CAC card

CAC access to secure web sites for Mac OS
alexlangley11

SCR3500a not recognizing CAC card

Post by alexlangley11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi,

I used to be able to access military websites on my mac laptop using my card reader (scr3500a) and the thursby PKard assistant. As of recently I have been unable to login to any military websites on my mac. I am currently operating on Mac OS High Sierra. I have tried deleting all of the certificates and re-downloading them. I know that my CAC card works, as I am able to use it on military computers.

Also, when I open the PKard Assistant it recognizes the smart card reader under "available smart card readers" and at the bottom it states "please insert your smart card. When I insert my CAC card the reader will light up red briefly before it suddenly stops. I think the reader is not reading my CAC card and that might be the issue with logging into these websites, however, I am not sure if there is something else I may be overlooking.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

kim

Re: SCR3500a not recognizing CAC card

Post by kim » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:41 am

alexlangley11 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:15 pm
Hi,

I used to be able to access military websites on my mac laptop using my card reader (scr3500a) and the thursby PKard assistant. As of recently I have been unable to login to any military websites on my mac. I am currently operating on Mac OS High Sierra. I have tried deleting all of the certificates and re-downloading them. I know that my CAC card works, as I am able to use it on military computers.

Also, when I open the PKard Assistant it recognizes the smart card reader under "available smart card readers" and at the bottom it states "please insert your smart card. When I insert my CAC card the reader will light up red briefly before it suddenly stops. I think the reader is not reading my CAC card and that might be the issue with logging into these websites, however, I am not sure if there is something else I may be overlooking.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
Apple introduced a change in High Sierra which caused the PKard Assistant to "break". This is where you're getting stuck. As of right now, the Assistant will not work properly if you're running High Sierra or Mojave. Just close out the PKard Assistant window because you will not be using it. The Assistant is *not critical* and does not affect the CAC enabling functionality of the PKard software which is already fully installed before the PKard Assistant tool launches.

If the LED is not staying lit on your reader with your card in, this is a separate common issue with Apple's pcscd process going dormant. To resolve this, unplug your reader and reboot your Mac. Once your machine is back up, connect the reader, insert card, wait for LED to go solid then try accessing a CAC required site.

If you continue having trouble accessing sites after following these steps, please contact us at support@thursby.com or call +1817-478-5070. Thanks!

Kim, Support