Safari Can't Open the Page

CAC access to secure web sites for Mac OS
Nathan

Safari Can't Open the Page

Post by Nathan » Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 pm

I foolishly removed my CAC card prior to quiting Safari and with my Mac asleep. Now I keep getting a "Safari Can't Open the Page" error when trying to open OWA. I've tried going through the steps on MilitaryCAC, but no luck. Also uninstalled and reinstalled Thursby (with CAC reader unplugged), and tried restarting the Mac 2 or 3 times. Everything had been working fine up to the point where I removed the card. I've tried Chrome as well and get a similar error. Help?

David Mattes

Re: Safari Can't Open the Page

Post by David Mattes » Mon May 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Nathan,

In Safari, have you removed the old Cache and Cookies? If not, I would recommend trying this. To remove Cache or Cookies, open Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data (not all versions have this button and some will have an option similar to "remove all website data") once inside of Manage Website Data, type ".mil" in the search box and when mail.mil appears, highlight it, then click remove. After those steps are done, I recommend closing Safari completely.

In Chrome you can do something similar by clicking on the three dot menu to the right of the browser bar, scrolling down to "More Tools" and then clicking on Clear Browsing Data. This will open a separate page, please make sure the top four boxes are checked, and you can adjust how far back you want to remove. Once your settings are how you'd like, click "Clear browsing data" to remove the old cache/cookies, close Chrome and reopen.

If you are having trouble using "web.mail.mil", I also encourage trying "web-stlm02.mail.mil" and see if that works for you. Please let us know if this issue persists -- you can call 817-478-5070 or email support@thursby.com and we can work one on one.

-David

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Mon May 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Thank you David. I tried removing all he Cache and Cookies from both browsers. That didn't solve the problem. Was going to call but decided to go through the militaryCAC steps again beforehand and a complete uninstall/reinstall. Its working now. For future reference, can you explain what happens when you are logged in and you remove your CAC without quitting OWA? (FYI - I use Navy west webmail/OWA) What problems does this cause and what general steps do you recommend trying in response? It's almost guaranteed I am going to do this again some time in the future....thanks! Nathan

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 am

I received the following error this morning:

"Safari Can't Open the Page
Safari can't open the page "https://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil" because Safari cannot establish a secure connection to the server "webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil".

My home PKard reader and software had been working just fine for several days. Yesterday, I quit Safari (via CMD-Q) and removed my CAC card. I went into the office, and logged into my NMCI computer/email without any problem. This morning I reinserted my card at home, opened Safari and got the error. Repeatedly. I have removed all of the associated identity preferences, cleared the navy.mil cookie (via preferences -> privacy data -> etc etc), cleared my history, and then quit Safari. Same result.

I have three questions:
1. Is there some sort of special Safari shutdown procedures that we need to do to in order to keep this from happening?
2. Does something happen when I use my CAC card on a NMCI workstation to mess up the identity preferences or certificates on my Mac at home?
3. What else can I do fix this problem? This problem is not uncommon. The last time this happened - I didn't do anything at all other than trying to log in the following morning (and then - OMG - it worked just fine). My co-workers that use the same PKard system say that is their "go-to" fix when it happens to them - just wait for a while, then try it again, and usually it just starts working again. Really?? There has to be something else going on.

Help?

michaelwolfe

Post by michaelwolfe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Nathan,

I apologize for the delayed response, are you still having trouble accessing your Navy email? Additionally, I would like to know if you are having trouble logging in using Google Chrome.

Michael