For identification purposes, our reader has a Product ID of 0x9540 and a vendor ID of 0x058f. To see the same information on your reader, open System Profiler ( from the Utilities folder ), select USB, and then select the card reader. You should see something like this:
When I attached this reader to Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, & v10.7; I could not get it to be recognized by pcscd ( a daemon on Mac OS X that is used to communicate with smart card readers ). On Mac OS X v10.6.8, the following output appears in the system log when the reader is attached:
- pcscd: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X58F, Product: 0X9540]
In an attempt to make this reader work, I did the following:
- Make a backup of the file the file /usr/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Info.plist.
- Edit the file above ( I used 'vi' ).
- At the bottom of the section <key>ifdFriendlyName</key>, add a Friendly Name for the reader:
- <string>Alcor Micro, Corp. 0x9540</string>
- At the bottom of the section <key>ifdProductID</key>, add a Product ID for the reader:
- At the bottom of the section <key>ifdVendorID</key>, add a Vendor ID for the reader.
- Save the file and get pcscd to refresh ( sudo killall pcscd, unplug the reader, and then connect it again ).
Now, the reader works! This solution ( at least for me ) has the side effect of the following line a few times every second:
- Dec 14 15:44:04 carl com.apple.securityd: /SourceCache/SmartcardCCID/SmartcardCCID-35253/ccid/ccid/src/commands.c:945:CmdGetSlotStatus Card absent or mute
That's not a good solution, but at least it works ( if that's the only option you have ).
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.