Sub Rosa Does Not Read CAC

CAC access to secure web sites for iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) using the Thursby PKard Reader card reader.

Sub Rosa Does Not Read CAC

Postby mjruss » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 am

I upgraded my iPad and iPhone last evening to Sub Rosa. Since that time the software does not seem to know that I have my CAC inserted. When I attempt to access CAC enabled web sites it just displays the "Please insert a CAC" message. I have removed and reinserted it, pulled out my lightning CAC reader and reattached it, and so on, several times. But so far Sub Rosa just does not know the CAC is there.
mjruss

Re: Sub Rosa Does Not Read CAC

Postby carl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:25 pm

A few questions about your situation:
  1. Before Sub Rosa, did you have PKard Reader installed, and did it function properly?
  2. What type of CAC reader are you using? It sounds like a plug-in reader, but it could be a case. If it's a plug-in reader, is it plastic back or metal back?
  3. Who manufactured your card reader (does it have the Thursby logo or something else)?
  4. What version of iOS are you using. You can find the exact version in Settings > General > About
  5. What model iPhone and iPad are you using? Do both function the same?
carl
Site Admin

Postby Julienrl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm

I would like to follow up where the previous person left off. I have a R2S reader for my iPhone 6s+ That used to work great. Two weeks ago I was issued a new ID due to promotion and now nothing works. None of my readers can detect the card. The R2S reader lights up like before, but I am unable to have the software recognize the new CAC.

1. Never had PKard installed. Used Sub Rosa, but today I installed everything hoping one of the software suites would recognize my ID. R2S and PKard for Good.
2. R2S iPhone 6 lightning adapter
3. Thursby manufacture
4. iOS 10.2.1
5. iPhone 6s+

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. I am no longer able to do anything in support of the Reserves due to this issue.
Julienrl

Postby michaelwolfe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 am

Julienrl,

First, please uninstall Sub Rosa and PKard for Good. Now, if R2S is running in the background, disconnect your reader, then double tap your home button and swipe R2S upwards to close it. Now, open R2S, connect your reader, and insert your card into the reader. Are you prompted to authenticate? Do you see both a blue light, and a white light on the reader? Are you using an adapter, or extender to connect the reader to your device? Do you have any other iOS devices?

Michael
michaelwolfe

Postby genepontess » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 am

I am having a similar issue with Sub Rosa not recognizing my CAC card. I only see the white light on the CAC reader when I am in the app but see both the white and blue light with the card reader charging while plugged into my phone when it is locked. My answers to the questions are below.

carl wrote:A few questions about your situation:
  1. Before Sub Rosa, did you have PKard Reader installed, and did it function properly?
    I have only used Sub Rosa
  2. What type of CAC reader are you using? It sounds like a plug-in reader, but it could be a case. If it's a plug-in reader, is it plastic back or metal back?
    Plug in reader with metal back
  3. Who manufactured your card reader (does it have the Thursby logo or something else)?
    Thursby
  4. What version of iOS are you using. You can find the exact version in Settings > General > About
    11.0.3 (15A432)
  5. What model iPhone and iPad are you using? Do both function the same?

Only utilize on my iphone 7
genepontess

Postby michaelwolfe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:49 am

genepontess,

First, the card reader does not need a charge nor is it capable of holding a charge.

While the reader is connected, and Sub Rosa is open, do you see a [ icon in the upper left corner of the app window?

Does the blue light ever come on when you have you card inserted?

-Michael
michaelwolfe

Postby genepontess » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

I do not see an icon in the upper left corner nor do I see a blue light at anytime with the card inserted.
genepontess

Postby michaelwolfe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 am

genepontess,

You could be running into a situation where the process Apple uses to connect to accessories has crashed, and is no longer starting when you connect the reader. Try restarting your phone while the reader is disconnected, and see if the problem persists. I do recommend, however, that you first start Sub Rosa and then connect the reader to see if it works or fails.

-Michael
michaelwolfe

Postby genepontess » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Same results after trying again. I restarted the phone and ended up with the same results. I get a quick flash of the white light when I insert the card reader and then it remains off.
genepontess

Postby michaelwolfe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

genepontess,

I have sent you an email from our support database in order to further troubleshoot and gather diagnostic data of this issue.

-Michael
michaelwolfe

Next

Return to Sub Rosa™ (formerly PKard® Reader)