Does ADmitMac install for the computer, or the user?

User discussion forum for prior versions of ADmitMac
tlmurray

Does ADmitMac install for the computer, or the user?

Post by tlmurray » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

I have a situation where I could use three log-in IDs on my Mac: personal, and two different companies. When ADmitMac is installed on my hardware, is it installed on a machine basis -- there is only one set of settings shared among all three user IDs -- or can I install it separately, where the two companies each have their own custom Active Domain settings?

jim
Site Admin

Re: Does ADmitMac install for the computer, or the user?

Post by jim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

tlmurray,

ADmitMac is installed and bound to the domain for the machine. Since you can only have one set of Kerberos credentials for the computer account, we only support binding to one domain.

I hope this information helps.

---Jim

tlmurray

Post by tlmurray » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

If I knew more about Kerberos and domains it would. So, let me ask it this way: Can I achieve this goal:

I plug in to the LAN of CompanyA, boot up, and log into my CompanyA user ID on my Mac. My Active Domain settings are all ready to go for CompanyA.

The next day I plug in to the LAN of CorpB, boot up, and log into my CorpB user ID on my Mac. My Active Domain settings are all ready to go for CorpB.

If ADmitMac cannot do that, can it export settings as a file that I can import later? I could simply store my settings on a flash drive or in the Shared user folder and import the settings for whatever company I'm at for the day.

jim
Site Admin

Post by jim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

timurray,

The direct answer to your question is: No.

Active Directory security is based on credentials; both user credentials and computer credentials. Your Mac has to have an account in AD in order for you to be able to log in to that domain. Since the Mac can only have one account (one set of Kerberos credentials), you can only be bound to one domain. This makes sure that only computers and users from "CompanyA" can access "CompanyA" resources.

The settings cannot be exported/imported. This, too, is an Active Directory security issue.

The only thing I could suggest would be to have two bootable partitions on your Mac: One that you would boot into for "CompanyA" and one that you would boot into for "CorpB".

I hope this information helps.

---Jim

tlmurray

Post by tlmurray » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks much.