Can't change screensaver time setting

User discussion forum for prior versions of ADmitMac

Can't change screensaver time setting

Postby dannyboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:10 am

Hi all,

I'm testing AdmitMac v7 on OSX 10.8.5. When I set it up, I joined it to our domain using the short domain name (e.g. company , as opposed to company.local ).

Everything worked fine for a couple of days, but then I couldn't log in with domain accounts. The 'verify' option in ADmitMac also failed, so I removed it from the domain and re-added it, this time using the full domain name - company.local - as it wouldn't join using the short name.

That resolved the login issue, but created another issue - when I log in with domain accounts now, I am unable to change the time before the screensaver kicks in, and also can't untick the 'require password after screensaver' option in Prefences > Security, as both are greyed out. The upshot of this is that when logged in as a domain user, the screensaver activates after 1 minute of idle time, and I then have to enter a password to unlock again.

Domain accounts are configured to have local admin rights, and I can change all other settings in Preferences.

One thing I did notice after rejoining to the domain is that the home folder location changed from Domain/company to Domain/company.local. Whether this would have any bearing I'm not sure, but does anyone know how to resolve this?

thanks
Dan

dannyboy

Re: Can't change screensaver time setting

Postby jim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Dan,

ADmitMac has the ability to take the default domain security settings configured by Group Policy and apply then to them automatically. This confirms to Microsoft's recommendations for Active Directory security. The screensaver and password requirement appear to be configured for your domain via Group Policy, so you will not be able to change them on the client.

I hope this information helps.

---
Jim
jim
Site Admin

Re: Can't change screensaver time setting

Postby dannyboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 am

Hi Jim

I did wonder if it was GP related, but dismissed the idea as we don't have any screensaver policies configured on our domain. However, I configured a GPO with all screensaver settings disabled and applied it to the Mac, and this did resolve the issue after rejoining it to the domain, so happy days :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

cheers
Dan
dannyboy

Return to Legacy ADmitMac Versions