web.mail.mil site not moving past welcome screen

CAC access to secure web sites for Android devices using the Thursby Sub Rosa™ app and Thursby branded card readers.
jeremy1j

web.mail.mil site not moving past welcome screen

Post by jeremy1j » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

I can't seem to get past the welcome/warning screen on web.mail.mil or af.mil OWA's.

This is the only real reason that I want to by the software. If I can't get these sites to work, it doesn't make sense to buy the software.

Cant anyone please help me?

kim

Re: web.mail.mil site not moving past welcome screen

Post by kim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Jeremy1

To access https://web.mail.mil in Sub Rosa for Android, 2 settings within the app need to be disabled. Launch Sub Rosa then tap the 3-dot menu icon in the top-right. Select Settings towards the bottom of the menu. First, uncheck Enhanced OWA Client to disable it. Second, scroll down to the Security section and uncheck FIPS 140-2 mode. Back out of settings then re-load https://web.mail.mil. Make sure to select the "Email Signing" certificate when prompted, then enter your CAC PIN# in the pin pad. Please let us know if you have any more questions. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Kim K.
Support Department
Thursby Software Systems, Inc.| Arlington, TX

jeremy1j

Post by jeremy1j » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 pm

I made the two changes and still can't get it to move past the welcome/warning screen. I click the OK button and nothing happens, then the page seems to time out.

I still can't access the AF OWA either.

Any other things to check?

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 pm

What version of the product are you using? We've had a couple of updates recently, and this problem was supposed to be fixed in one.

jeremy1j

Post by jeremy1j » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:41 pm

3.1.2(911)

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:53 pm

We released 911 a couple of weeks ago, and we later found that it broke the accept button on some sites. The latest release (available a few days ago) is 3.1.3(929). If you check for updates, you should see this kit. Install it and let me know how that works.

jeremy1j

Post by jeremy1j » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Ok, I updated to ver 3.1.3 (929), I was able to click past the welcome screen and even choose the certificate. Now I keep getting "unable to securely connect" on both mail.mil and my AF OWA.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm glad to hear confirmation that the new version fixed the problem with the welcome screen button.

The error, "unable to securely connect", implies that we're using the wrong certificate to connect to OWA. Do you remember which certificate you selected when prompted? Do you know which certificates you should use for these sites? If you use "Secure Reset" from the Settings menu, it should clear any certificate choices you previously set so that you will be prompted the next time you connect.

jeremy1j

Post by jeremy1j » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I did the Secure Reset a couple of times, and was using the email certificate. I will try it again. I was wondering, do I need to also to do the settings that Kim mentioned the other day (disable Enhanced OWA and uncheck FIPS 140-2 mode)? I was able to get it to work this morning by turning the FIPS 140-2 mode back on, but leaving the "enhanced OWA" off. So, it appears to be a combination of those 2 settings and the newer version of the software. Thank you for the help.

If I were to purchase the CAC Reader back for the Galaxy S7, am I going to have software issues like this? Will I still get software updates?

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:18 pm

No, you don't need to do the settings that Kim had mentioned. She was using those steps for troubleshooting.

Are you saying that with "FIPS 140-2 Mode" checked, you can connect and with "FIPS 140-2 Mode" unchecked, you cannot connect? Can you retest that theory for me? I've never heard of a situation like that.

You should be able to use Enhanced OWA. Please enable that option and let me know if it causes any troubles.

If you cannot get Sub Rosa to connect reliably to these sites, we'll set up a support call and ask you for a trace of a problem connection.

So far, we've not charged for any Sub Rosa (or previously PKard) updates, and updates are included with any license (the case reader comes with a license).