Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

CAC access to the Navy Reserve Ready-2-Serve (R2S) System for Android

Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

Postby langlda91 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I see that the Galaxy S8 is listed as a compatible phone for R2S. I have an adapter for the CAC Reader to go from mini-USB to USB-C in order to plug into my S8, however, the phone will not recognize that the CAC is inserted. I have an Anker USB adapter, is there another brand that does work? Will a USB-C CAC reader be coming out? Has anyone else had success using R2S with a USB-C phone?
langlda91

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

Postby David Mattes » Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 pm

I've done some of research on the Anker Micro USB to USB-C adapter and it does not seem support On The Go (OTG). An adapter that does support OTG that we use is available on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lc5ief. We also have a USB-C Reader the TSS-AN04 which is available for purchase at the bottom of page http://www.thursby.com/purchase/pkard-android.

-David
David Mattes

Postby langlda91 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 pm

David - Thanks for the information. Answers all my questions. -Dave
langlda91

Postby carl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:04 pm

This is a good reference for future visitors. From page 12 of the Samsung Galaxy S8 User Manual:

The Micro-USB connector does not support
On-the-Go (OTG) devices such as memory sticks,
external hard drives, or keyboard and mouse
accessories.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... AL_WEB.pdf
carl
Site Admin

Postby iheod53 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am

I have a Galaxy S8 and have the same problem with using the MicroUSB-to-USB-C adapter that came in the box with my phone. I ordered the Identiv CLOUD 2910 R smartcard reader (through R2S) but it won't work. Now it looks like the other full size USB-to-USB-C adapter in the box "does" support OTG but I would have to purchase a unique adapter or cable that has a female MicroUSB port on one end and male full USB port on the other end - I have not tried this option because it's too many cables. I ordered the TSS-AN04 Identiv USB-C smartcard reader that should plug directly into the S8. The R2S program will not pay for this USB-C type card reader since it was not in the contract with Navy Ready-To-Serve (R2S) - I asked. I can still use the Identiv CLOUD 2910 R model on other Samsung devices I have but unfortunately not on the S8.
iheod53

Postby carl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

That's good information. The adapter -- USB-C male to USB-A female -- is designed to connect any standard USB accessory. So, for example, if you've forgotten your USB-C reader somewhere and need to use your phone, you could use a desktop card reader.
carl
Site Admin

Return to Ready-2-Serve (R2S) for Android