Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

CAC access to the Navy Reserve Ready-2-Serve (R2S) System for Android
langlda91

Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

Post by langlda91 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I see that the Galaxy S8 is listed as a compatible phone for R2S. I have an adapter for the CAC Reader to go from mini-USB to USB-C in order to plug into my S8, however, the phone will not recognize that the CAC is inserted. I have an Anker USB adapter, is there another brand that does work? Will a USB-C CAC reader be coming out? Has anyone else had success using R2S with a USB-C phone?

David Mattes

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 and USB-C

Post by David Mattes » Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 pm

I've done some of research on the Anker Micro USB to USB-C adapter and it does not seem support On The Go (OTG). An adapter that does support OTG that we use is available on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lc5ief. We also have a USB-C Reader the TSS-AN04 which is available for purchase at the bottom of page http://www.thursby.com/purchase/pkard-android.

-David

langlda91

Post by langlda91 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 pm

David - Thanks for the information. Answers all my questions. -Dave

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:04 pm

This is a good reference for future visitors. From page 12 of the Samsung Galaxy S8 User Manual:
The Micro-USB connector does not support
On-the-Go (OTG) devices such as memory sticks,
external hard drives, or keyboard and mouse
accessories.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... AL_WEB.pdf

iheod53

Post by iheod53 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am

I have a Galaxy S8 and have the same problem with using the MicroUSB-to-USB-C adapter that came in the box with my phone. I ordered the Identiv CLOUD 2910 R smartcard reader (through R2S) but it won't work. Now it looks like the other full size USB-to-USB-C adapter in the box "does" support OTG but I would have to purchase a unique adapter or cable that has a female MicroUSB port on one end and male full USB port on the other end - I have not tried this option because it's too many cables. I ordered the TSS-AN04 Identiv USB-C smartcard reader that should plug directly into the S8. The R2S program will not pay for this USB-C type card reader since it was not in the contract with Navy Ready-To-Serve (R2S) - I asked. I can still use the Identiv CLOUD 2910 R model on other Samsung devices I have but unfortunately not on the S8.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

That's good information. The adapter -- USB-C male to USB-A female -- is designed to connect any standard USB accessory. So, for example, if you've forgotten your USB-C reader somewhere and need to use your phone, you could use a desktop card reader.

kkennemore

Post by kkennemore » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm

I have received the CAC reader with the USB C connection. When I plug it directly into my galaxy S8 nothing happens. The R2S app does not recognize the reader and the light on the reader does not flash. What am I doing wrong?

David Mattes

Post by David Mattes » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:02 pm

kkennemore,

It sounds like your reader may be malfunctioning. I will be sending you a private message for some additional information in order to open a trouble call for you.

-David

beattyb

Post by beattyb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:37 am

I have recently received the CAC reader for my Samsung S8+ that already has the USB-C provided. I am having the same issue where i plug it in and nothing is happening. No lights on the card reader and the app is not recognizing it.

David Mattes

Post by David Mattes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 am

beattyb,

Are you using the adapter that came with the Samsung S8+? If so then you will be running into the same issue as folks with the S8 as that adapter does not support On The Go (OTG) which is needed for the reader to be able to communicate with your phone. We've tested some adapters in-house and found the ones here (http://www.thursby.com/support/faq/usb-c) do support OTG.

-David