Unable to access email - ongoing

CAC access to the Navy Reserve Ready-2-Serve (R2S) System for Android
Streich

Unable to access email - ongoing

Post by Streich » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Didn't think to look for a help page on this sooner - but although my R2S app has worked since I got the reader in Dec - access to site, etc - I have never once been able to access my email.

My CAC is piv'd but I don't think it's the primary cause of the issue because it works fine in any NMCI machine I've used or my normal machines at work.

I select an email server - normally Navy East since I'm East coast - select Email cert - and then....nothing. I just wait and wait watching the yellow bar scrolling at the top of the screen. I've never gotten a time-out or error message - just nothing. Does the first time require something like a 10-15 min wait or anything? It'd be nice to see a status bar - ie....connecting/downloading/ kb/sec or anything else like that to give an indication of connectivity.

michaelwolfe

Re: Unable to access email - ongoing

Post by michaelwolfe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 am

Streich,

Which version of Android OS is on your device?

Are you required to use your PIV certificate, or your email certificate for email?

Have you tried the West coast server? Do you get the same behavior?

Also, are you able to log into any other sites in R2S?

Michael

Streich

Post by Streich » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Android 7.0 (Samsung Galaxy S7)

Now...just to clarify - I'm supposed to use my email cert to log in to R2S (no issues yet) and then my normal "ID" cert for email access?

At my civilian job I use my PIV cert to access a mail.mil account, on NMCI machines I normally use my ID cert to access my navy.mil NMCI address.

I was trying to use the email cert initially. Now I just get a variety of access errors using my normal cert on each of the different server options. The closest I get to access appears to be the RC2 server - but that brings me up to a username/password login - where I thought my certificate was supposed to get me access.

Is there a general help document somewhere that breaks down which certs to use where on the app? Using it is not nearly as simple as accessing a normal navy site from a military/gov computer.

I've viewed my orders on R2S before, but I haven't tried to get to NROWS or other sites directly.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:23 pm

First, having to pick your own certs is a bug in our software, and we're working to get that fixed. We know what certs most sites use, and we should pick them for you (sorry about that).

For NMCI, use your ID cert. For almost every other site (including R2S and NMCI webmail), use your Email cert.

We would like to get a support call started, and then we would like to get a diagnostic log of your attempt to get to your email. I'm going to start a support call for you and email you directly (instead of through the forum).

hillyardae

Post by hillyardae » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm having a similar problem with email...
On a note4, access R2S without issue. However, each site asks to install certificates from my phone (I don't have any certificates saved and I don't know where to get them). When accessing email, i get a continuous "connecting to server". I need to close the app and remove the reader to stop the process.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am

hillyardae wrote:...each site asks to install certificates from my phone
I've never seen a request to install certificates. If you can explain this or take a picture of this happening (likely using a different phone to take the picture), we may be able to explain what is happening and why.
hillyardae wrote:When accessing email, i get a continuous "connecting to server".
We're working on an update that will likely resolve this issue. I'm going to open a support call, email you from there, and see if I can get you involved in testing the update before it is released.