I have to restart my phone every time I use R2S

CAC access to the Navy Reserve Ready-2-Serve (R2S) System for Android

I have to restart my phone every time I use R2S

Postby jamesd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:57 am

Hi, I'm having a frustrating issue. Hopefully someone here can provide some clues to how I can solve the problem.

If I restart my phone, plug in the Thursby CAC reader, and start R2S, everything works fine. However, If I remove my CAC or close R2S, the next time I try to start R2S it doesn't work. The "Insert CAC" dialog box appears, but the red light on the reader does not flash and nothing happens even after several minutes. I always have to restart my phone, then R2S works again. I have tried granting all requested permissions to R2S and completely closing R2S and re-opening it, but these do not solve the issue.

When R2S does work (after a fresh restart), it displays a dialog box asking if I want to allow R2S to access the USB device. It also gives me a box to check if I want to make this device default. I have tried checking this box and leaving it un-checked, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. After I hit "OK," the red light on the reader flashes for a few seconds, then R2S says it found my certificates and prompts me to choose a cert and enter a PIN.

When remove my CAC and later try to re-insert and re-start R2S, the USB access dialog box never appears and the red light never turns on. It's as if R2S can't find the CAC reader at all.

Here are the details about my device:
Phone: Sony Xperia Z5 E5803
CAC reader: Thursby Identiv CLOUD 2910 R Smart Card Reader (R2S)
jamesd

Re: I have to restart my phone every time I use R2S

Postby michaelwolfe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 am

jamesd,

I don't recall anyone having that kind of issue with the Android readers, and it would seem as though your phone is refusing to supply power to the reader. I am going to send you an email from our Support database with instructions on how to send us a log file of this issue so we can see what is happening when you connect the reader.

Michael
michaelwolfe

Re: I have to restart my phone every time I use R2S

Postby jamesd » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 am

Thanks for sending me the support information. I sent my diagnostic log back to tech support, so hopefully they will be able to figure out what is interfering with my card reader.

James
jamesd

Return to Ready-2-Serve (R2S) for Android