reader not recognizing cac card

CAC access to the Navy Reserve Ready-2-Serve (R2S) System for Android

reader not recognizing cac card

Postby pkphi44 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Just received reader for Android and it is not recognizing my cac card.
pkphi44

Re: reader not recognizing cac card

Postby jim » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the reader. I have a couple of questions that might help us figure out the problem:

- When you connect the reader and insert your card, there should be a light on the reader. Does the light come on?

- What kind of Android device are you using?

---
Jim
jim
Site Admin

Postby pkphi44 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:24 pm

The light does not come on. I have a LG G3 Vigor.
pkphi44

Postby carl » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:59 am

[EDITED to remove reference to Sub Rosa and replace with R2S]
Here are the steps for troubleshooting a hardware problem on Android:

Does the device support USB On-The-Go (OTG)?
USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated to USB OTG or just OTG, allows USB devices, such as digital audio players or mobile phones, to act as a host, allowing other USB devices, such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards, to be attached to them.

Most phones and tablets made today support OTG, but not all. While not perfect the app USB OTG Checker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.usbotgchecker&hl=en) will tell you if your device supports OTG.

Does the device recognize the reader?
Launch R2S. With R2S running, connect the card reader to the phone/tablet. You should receive a message asking if you want R2S to have access to the USB device. Until you approve this, no lights will light on the reader.

Does the reader read the card?
If you've gotten this far, R2S should tell you that no identities have been found. Insert a card into the reader. At this point, the activity light on the reader should light, and R2S should notify you that it's found identities. You can continue to the R2S Homepage.

Please let me know where your testing fails so that we can plan a next step (or a replacement).
carl
Site Admin

Postby Ginger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm having the same issue. My R2S reader does not light up when inserted into my phone. I have used the OTG checker app, and my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 version 5.1) is enabled. I'm not quite sure what Sub Rosa is for us (is it the R2S app?).

However, when I use the device in my ASUS MeMo, the light turns on no problem. Within the R2S app, the CAC is still not recognized and lists no credentials.

Any insights?
Ginger

Postby carl » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Ginger, I really messed that up. Everywhere I listed Sub Rosa, just think R2S.

So, your phone supports OTG. You've downloaded R2S. With R2S running, when you connect the reader, what happens?
carl
Site Admin

Postby ElPresidente22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:33 pm

When you connect the reader and insert your card, there should be a light on the reader. Does the light come on?
I have the CLOUD 2910 R device. It does not appear to have a light device installed. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

What kind of Android device are you using?
Nexus 5X

Does the device support USB On-The-Go (OTG)?
I downloaded the app and it says my phone supports USB OTG.

Does the device recognize the reader?
Starting off, I went through the hoops and loops of getting the trial version of Thursby Sub Rosa for Android to discover that the app is no longer available. So I went with the premise that when you say "launch Sub Rosa," you really mean the Ready-2-Serve (R2S) app. Future guidance needs to be clearer next time.

In regards to the app itself, I didn't get a notification asking if I wanted to grant the app access to the USB device, it only shows a prompt that says "Please attach your CAC to continue." To troubleshoot, I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, restarted, then opened the app with the card reader plugged in with my CAC card inserted and got the same prompt. Next, I inserted my CAC card into the card reader on my computer and was able to log into OWA and NSIPS with no issues. Next, I installed R2S on a different device (iRulu tablet), restarted, attempted to launch with the reader/CAC card inserted and received the same "Please attach your CAC to continue" prompt. Out of curiosity, I manually stopped the app on my phone, restarted it and it still gave the prompt even though there was no card reader attached.

With all that said, is it possible to update the app so that it automatically checks to see if the device is OTG compatible and automatically checks to see if a card reader is attached? The level of effort I've expended attempting troubleshoot this card reader issue is a major flaw. Also,

Does the reader read the card?
Didn't make it this far
ElPresidente22

Postby carl » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 pm

ElPresidente22, the CLOUD 2910 R does have an LED light, but in my testing, it only lights when it's reading the card (Jim was mistaken that it lights as soon as it's attached to the phone/tablet).

I apologize for referencing Sub Rosa. I've corrected my previous post so that others don't encounter the same problem.

I will suggest to the engineers the idea of trying to identify if the phone/tablet supports OTG.

So the deciding question still remains: If your device supports OTG and you have R2S running, if when you connect the reader, nothing happens, then the reader is likely defective. If you received the reader from us, I would encourage you to telephone our support group (817-478-5070) during business hours to discuss getting a replacement.
carl
Site Admin

Postby Ginger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 pm

When I plug in the reader with the R2S app open, nothing happens. I reinstalled the app on my phone and when prompted I inserted the reader. Then I inserted my CAC, but it shows a box saying "No Credentials Available". The light has never come on, and I agree the light only comes on when the reader actually reads the card, because that is what happened when I used my tablet. If it is defective, why is it only defective in phones if ElPresidente and another are having almost identical issues? It's almost as if the reader and phones don't agree or communicate, but are just satisfactory on tablets.
Ginger

Postby pkphi44 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 pm

My phone does not support the checker. My phone recognizes the reader but the light does not light up when the card is inserted.
pkphi44

Next

Return to Ready-2-Serve (R2S) for Android