web.mail.mil Error

CAC access to secure web sites for Android devices using the Thursby Sub Rosa™ app and Thursby branded card readers.
kl24

web.mail.mil Error

Post by kl24 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I've tried to lpad mail.mil on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Android 4.4.4, a Galaxy Note 2 running 4.3 and a Moto G phone running both 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 with no success on any of them.

I can load the policy page but when I click to agree to the terms the whole browser app just freezes. Nothing loads and nothing responds to any touch input. I have to close the entire app using the task manager and reopen it to try again. The error is identical on all devices above. I've tried using the web.mail.mil address and also the specific server address with the same result.

Additionally when accessing nearly every Army site I've tried has given me the same SSL type error as mentioned in other threads. I have had 0 success accessing any CAC enabled Army site.

Readers used were the Thursby iPad Lightning reader through USB OTG and SCM SCR3310 through USB OTG. All certificates are visible in the PKard app.

onekcali

Re: web.mail.mil Error

Post by onekcali » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:03 pm

I am also having the same errors. Either it freezes at the DVD banner or it continues and I get a Java error which says something about a handshake. Just as the user above, everything shows up fine in the PKARD app.... please help. I am very interested in purchasing the full version.

James.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:27 am

I'd like you to try a pre-release version of PKard Browser to see if this makes a difference for you. I'll email you directly, too; but if you're interested, post a response or send me a message. I don't want the download link to be public until we verify that this works.

If anyone else is having this problem, please email our support group, post here, or PM me on this forum.

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:52 am

Yesterday we released an update for PKard for Android. Please check for updates in PKard and PKard Browser:

PKard Browser
Tap the menu button > Settings > About
Here, you can click the "Check for updates" line to manually check for updates

PKard
Tap the menu button > Check for Updates

After installing updates for both apps, launch PKard Browser to test.

richc

Post by richc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Having the problem trying to access my DoD Enterpise email via my Android Tablet and Smartphone. PKard recognizes my CAC and the certificates just fine but when trying to access my email via PKardbrowser I get the error 'javax.net.ssl.Exception ...' similiar to what others were getting. This happens when I also try to access other DoD Sites requiring CAC authentication. Is there a solution to this problem? I have downloaded the update that just came out on 5th Dec as well.

onekcali

Post by onekcali » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Thank you for your response Mr. Ketterling. I have tried the update that you had given me through email. which was version 1.2.79, which did not work either. Yesterday, I tried the new release, version 1.2.82, which still did not work. As before, everything shows up in PKARD, six keys. Using PKARD Browser, I go to https://web.mail.mil, as I would on my desktop, and it loads the DoD Banner page. I have tried both with the government trusted certificates installed and without and FIPS mode enabled and disabled. I click the OK button and one of the following happens:

. Freezes up and I have to close from the task manager
. Asks me to unlock email signing. I then enter my CAC Pin, then I get an error stating "javax.net.ssl.SSLExcetpion: timed out waiting for crypt operation result."
. I click ok and it says "javax.net.ssl.SSLExcetpion: Read errir: ssl.... Failure in SSL library...... akert handshake failure....."

Has there been any updates to these issues?

I am using a Galaxy Note 4 and a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, I have yet to get it working on either. Thank you for your assistance.

James.

jwilmoth

Post by jwilmoth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:33 pm

I am also having this issue. I've tried several times to access webmail and other sites such as AKO and keep getting the same results as the other posts in the forum. Either the app freezes or I get an SSL/handshake error. I was able to get on webmail once today. I didn't do anything different, but for some reason it allowed me to log in and successfully accessed my email. However after logging out, I haven't been able to get back in. I've tried using a Note II and a Nexus 7 with similar results however the UI seems to work better on the Note II. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an update or advice on a solution that will enable me to get some use out of this handy gadget.

rtgrossart

Post by rtgrossart » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm having the exact problem with my Samsung Note Pro 12.2. I received the Identive CLOUD 2910 R Smart Card Reader today hoping that would solve the problem but it has not. I'm going to wait a week for a resolution and then ask for a refund. Looks like this product is not quite ready for prime-time.

rtgrossart

KNOX Instalation

Post by rtgrossart » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 am

Samsung KNOX Installation – DoD support

Have any of you tried to get IT support with this issue? The Samsung web site states:

Samsung KNOX Workspace supports US Department of Defense issued SmartCards, also known as Common Access Cards (CACs). The browser, email and VPN clients can use credentials on the CAC to log in, if the enterprise IT admin has configured this policy. Other third-party apps can also use the CAC through well- defined PKCS 11 APIs. CAC can be used for two-factor authentication on the device lock screen.

I am unable to load the software while in KNOX mode. I’m also unable to save the keys to the internal or external storage folder that may allow the native chrome browser to work with the reader. Have any of you figured out a workaround for this?

Just wondering if there is a solution out there before I contact the office tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rick

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm

The PKard for Android product suite is designed to work in parallel with Knox but is not integrated into Knox. This means that to use PKard for Android on a device with Knox you must use the Thursby PKard applications and that PKard will not be used by Knox to provide additional services. There should be nothing that prevents the use of both PKard and Knox applications as long as the card-reader is granted user permission to connect to PKard.

By way of example, to check your email using PKard, you would currently need to use the PKard Browser to authenticate to your OWA. As mentioned, Knox does include some CAC support including browser, VPN and Email client applications. These applications are not enabled by PKard and are only officially supported with specific card-reader hardware. If you are using Knox, your IT support can provide more details about which readers can be used with Knox directly. On the other hand, PKard will work with most CCID compliant USB readers that can be properly plugged into your device.